European Standard EN 453:2014, which highlights the danger of inhalation of flour dust and the consequent mandatory use of a closed safety cover on dough mixers, includes responsibilities for employers and manufacturing companies.
It is mandatory to apply the requirements of European standard EN 453:2014. Non-compliance leads to consequences for the parties involved, specifically the possibility of incurring fines.
The employer (the equipment owner) is responsible for creating a work space that protects its employees and therefore purchases equipment with suitable guards to comply with current legislation. This action cannot be substituted by the use of personal protection, which must be used as supplementary equipment
Each country is under the obligation to transpose the standard’s directives into national law. It is this transposition document in each country that defines the sanctions to be applied for failure to comply.
According to the information that has been gathered, the fines can be summarised as follows:
- Manufacturer: 3.000€ to 45.000€ por equipamento;
- Employer: Portugal – 2.000€ to 61.000€ ((by sales volume); Spain – 625€ to 6.250€ per commercial establishment. It may be as much as €187,515 (in the case of critical situations).
- European standard EN 453:2014: spiral mixers (bowl safety cover)
- Non-compliance: european standard EN 453:2014
- Bowl’s safety cover (spiral mixers): technical changes
- Baker’s asthma
- Best bakery practices: dust propagation